Inspired by the @WrknOnMyNovel Twitter account, we thought we’d do a search on the phrase “Working On My Memoir” to see what’s being tweeted about memoir writing. Turns out, it’s an entertaining mix of legit memoirists at work and folks offering tongue-in-cheek summations of their lives.
We saved the Twitter search. Check it out here.
Ready to flex those memoir-writing muscles?
To celebrate the release of Writing the Hawai‘i Memoir: Advice and Exercises to Help You Tell Your Story by Darien Gee, we’re giving away three sets of memoir books, including the new how-to guide, plus a 15% discount credit on a Legacy Isle Publishing package. All you have to do to enter is share your own Six-Word Memoir®. See the end of the post for complete details.
The Six-Word Memoir® is the brainchild of SMITH Magazine. The goal is simple: Write your memoir in exactly six words, no more, no less. You can’t break up compound words but you can play with contractions (“do not” = two words, “don’t” = one word). Their tagline sums it up: One life. Six words. What’s yours?TM
Here are some examples shared in Writing the Hawai‘i Memoir:
“Born on O‘ahu, raised on Hawai‘i.” (Kai Ibana)
“Got hit, life bit, rage quit.” (Taran Takahashi)
“I live clean and surf mean.” (Kamuela Spencer-Herring)
“All my scars are my stories.” (Ryan Hooley)
“Roping wild cattle is a battle.” (Levi Higa)
“He loved me but left anyway.” (Elsbeth McKeen)
And here are a few written and shared by visitors to our booth at the Hawaii Book & Music Festival:
Here’s how to enter:
- Post your own Six Word Memoir in a comment below. Your memoir MUST be six words, exactly.
- Additional entries: Post a DIFFERENT memoir on our Legacy Isle Publishing Facebook Page and/or on Twitter (don’t forget to tag us @LegacyIsle). Memoirs submitted for each channel must be unique. Duplicate entries will be discarded. You may enter once per channel (blog comment, Facebook, Twitter).
- Each memoir submitted is entered in our drawing for one of three prize packages to be given away.
- Entries must be submitted by
July 15, 2014. DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JULY 31, 2014!
- Legacy Isle Publishing is not responsible for misdirected or improperly tagged entries.
- Open to U.S. residents only.
Each prize package consists of: