Ready to flex those memoir-writing muscles?
To celebrate the release of Writing the Hawai‘i Memoir: Advice and Exercises to Help You Tell Your Story by Darien Gee, we’re giving away three sets of memoir books, including the new how-to guide, plus a 15% discount credit on a Legacy Isle Publishing package. All you have to do to enter is share your own Six-Word Memoir®. See the end of the post for complete details.
The Six-Word Memoir® is the brainchild of SMITH Magazine. The goal is simple: Write your memoir in exactly six words, no more, no less. You can’t break up compound words but you can play with contractions (“do not” = two words, “don’t” = one word). Their tagline sums it up: One life. Six words. What’s yours?TM
Here are some examples shared in Writing the Hawai‘i Memoir:
“Born on O‘ahu, raised on Hawai‘i.” (Kai Ibana)
“Got hit, life bit, rage quit.” (Taran Takahashi)
“I live clean and surf mean.” (Kamuela Spencer-Herring)
“All my scars are my stories.” (Ryan Hooley)
“Roping wild cattle is a battle.” (Levi Higa)
“He loved me but left anyway.” (Elsbeth McKeen)
And here are a few written and shared by visitors to our booth at the Hawaii Book & Music Festival:
Here’s how to enter:
- Post your own Six Word Memoir in a comment below. Your memoir MUST be six words, exactly.
- Additional entries: Post a DIFFERENT memoir on our Legacy Isle Publishing Facebook Page and/or on Twitter (don’t forget to tag us @LegacyIsle). Memoirs submitted for each channel must be unique. Duplicate entries will be discarded. You may enter once per channel (blog comment, Facebook, Twitter).
- Each memoir submitted is entered in our drawing for one of three prize packages to be given away.
- Entries must be submitted by
July 15, 2014.DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JULY 31, 2014!
- Legacy Isle Publishing is not responsible for misdirected or improperly tagged entries.
- Open to U.S. residents only.
Each prize package consists of:
- One (1) autographed copy Writing the Hawai‘i Memoir by Darien Gee
- One (1) copy My Name is Makia: A Memoir of Kalaupapa by Makia Malo with Pamela Young
- One (1) copy BEN: A Memoir by Benjamin J. Cayetano
- One (1) copy Kapoho: Memoir of a Modern Pompeii by Frances H. Kakugawa
- One (1) certificate valid for a 15% discount on a Legacy Isle Publishing package. Package must be contracted/purchased by December 31, 2014. Discount applies toward package services only; does not apply toward shipping or additional distribution charges.